Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Ave Caesar MCMXC - MMV

I had to get my cat put down this morning. 15yrs old, black NZ shorthair. He had been off his food for a couple of days, then yesterday afternoon, he sudennly could not walk straight. Being a very active animal, I thought he may have just hurt himself hunting, as he had done in the past. Later in the evening, I found a very rotten discharge (or so I thought) on the underside of his neck. I called the vet and discussed the problem with him. We came to the conclusion that he had probably been fighting again and it was all due to an abcess and to bring him in this morning for a check over, possibly a course of antibiotics. Took him in, on initial examination, we decided that we would do a series of blood tests for possible kidney or liver failure and book him in later in the week for some dental work.
However, I was still a little concerned about his difficulty walking as a friend of mine has had a cat with pulled tail syndrome in the past, so I put him on the floor for the vet to watch him walking. That called for an immediate re-examination, leaving us with the conclusion that he was suffering from ataxia ( a loss of sense or control of his limb placement), probably due to brain damage, most likely brought on by a stroke sometime in the last few days and rapidly degenerating.
We spent some time discussing the various options, keeping in mind the probable protracted period of discomfort and pain compared to Caesers' projected future quality of life, especially given his advanced age. I took the decision to have him put down right there and then, while he could still recognise me and still purr.
I have brought him home to bury.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let us not mourn Caesars passing but instead celebrate his reign. While he lived he truly lived up to his name and ruled all others around him.

10:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mate.
Sorry to hear about Ceaser, he was a beautiful old cat, if it comforts you at all I had to make the same decision about my old cat TC just a few weeks back, she was about the same age as Ceaser, and was likewise an active creature. Cats like that deserve only the best we can offer them man, and when they can no longer do the things that they enjoy, it is best that they be given the rest that they deserve, for all their years of friendship and companionship. I've just told my lady love, and she sends her comiserations too.
It will take some time to be relieved of the pain of Ceaser's passing, but the joy that he brought to you and all the others who's lives he touched will never fade.
Take care dude.

1:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ceasar was a cat and a half. He ruled the roost and did not take fools lightly. It's always a hard decision to do what you have done (did it myself about 6 mths ago with Havoc) but as you stated - it's his quality of life you have to consider, not your feelings. Time, to a certain extent will heal the gap he's left in your life. If there is a pussy cat heaven, no doubt he'll be up there creating his own version of havoc and having a ball.

9:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was always glad that Caesar was with you, and I know you made the right choice - which is never easy, given that cats enrich our lives so much. We had a little black cat called Bela but he disappeared and the grief is that you will never actually know if he died/adopted another family or whatever. Ave Ceasar!

8:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home