Monday, February 14, 2005

10-Pin

About time I posted another pathetic dribble from my point of perception. Some of the Americans out there may appreciate this one.
Anyway, as it happens, for various reasons, I used to bowl league but gave up around 7 years ago. When I quit, I had a 42 handicap. This year, I decided to start again. Purely by coincidence, the league I used to bowl for has just moved back to my local lanes aftere a 5 year break that I knew nothing about. So, I assembled a team of total newbies from work and entered us in this league, one night a week. Imagine my horror, to find that on the first night back, I wound up bowling a 151 avg (29 handicap), then the next week, compounding what I thought to be a fluke and hitting 150 avg.
Okiedoe I think to myself, I'll just pop down tonight and have a couple of quiet practice games on my own and see what happens.....124, 158.
Ahha, this is still in a similar area, considering that both the previous series ended on 185 games.
Meanwhile, I have been being watched by some people from the league that is about to play tonight and get invited in to act as a fill-in/reserve to cover for a missing bowler.....OK, no harm in this is there?
End result of the series, 150 avg!
Lest you wonder what the problem is, I have not bowled for the previous 7 years, my original style was R/H backup and I have a very uniquly drilled ball to fit my hand pattern. In the intervening years, my style appears to have drifted to a very nearly square-on approach (head-pin strikes...*cringe*), but still requiring the same wierd finger pattern.
Actually kinda curious to know if anyone else has encountered a similar improvement after a long hiatus from any sport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home